Who's On| Search/Rate| My Profile| Message Boards| Chat| E-mail|

Over 2,000,000 free e-mails sent join free

Saturday, November 25, 2006

Rental scams

We recently posted a room for rent on several roommate and rental websites. I haven't figured out what exactly the scam is but I get about 40 e-mails a day from people claiming to be from the UK or Australia expressing an interest in our rental. I became suspicious when the e-mailers claimed to be models and many of the e-mails were similar in content. I've posted a few of the e-mails below. If you are renting a room or property, do yourself a favor and do not post your e-mail address. Post your telephone number, and make them call you. Our legit renters where the ones that called.

Sample scam e-mails:

I will start by introducing myself briefly; I am Owen Simpson, working with TELNET INC. I grew up in the State and started working with my present establishment. In the year 2000 I got transferred to the United Kingdom, which obviously I did not find it easy at all initially but had to cope because of my sustenance. Some weeks ago, a memo came from our head office notifying me of my transfer which I called "A RETURN BACK HOME".... lol.
I am writing just to confirm if you still have the room for rent..............If YES Please I will like to have answers to the following questions below:
1) I will like to have the description of the room, size, and the equipments in there.
2) I will like to have the rent fee per month plus the utilities.
3) I will also be coming with some of my furniture, that is if it is allowed, like bed, book shelf because I read alot, shoe rank etc
4) I will also like to know if you accept Cashier’s Check or US postal Money Order so that I can contact our payment department for the payment. The company is responsible for the payment.
5) If the 4 questions are YES, I will like to know the total cost for the initial move as in first month rent plus utilities and if deposit is necessary.
6) I will like to know the major intersection


Hope to hear from you soon.

Owen



Hello
Hey My name is KellyCrawford Cambell,Female,as you would already know I am looking for a roomate that is responsible, hasn't always had everything they ever wanted, but has always worked for things that they have. I want someone that has a sense of humor,so if you don't have a sense of humor, I definitly am not the right roomate for you! I have a very outgoing personality, am a very funny person. I get along with almost anyone, So I don't want to put a bunch of info about me on here you can email me at kelly_crawford04@yahoo.com , if you might be interested.I am really just looking for someone with a postitive attitude, and is responsible!I work as a model, I'm easy to get along with and I respect your personal space. I'm usually not around, so I won't bother you.I generally want someone who is easy or outgoing and just enjoys life and people. I do. You have to have a job though and you must be dependable. Hope I'm what your looking for.just really looking around to see what possibilities there are out there.
I am a model by occupation and i model internationaly,i am in UK now modeling for gucci but i want you to get back to me via email,i will love to come directly to your room from here if you will rent it out to me.PLS GET BACK TO ME AT MY PERSONAL EMAIL ADDRESS.
kelly_crawford04@yahoo.com
Yours Sincerely
KellyCrawford Cambell.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow- thanks for posting this! I just received an e-mail from Owen Simpson with TELNET showing interest in my rental, and decided to see what I could find by searching the name and company online. well good thing I did, because this posting is what resulted!